Suggest treatment for severe GERD and tonsil stones

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello. I recently discovered that I have a polyp on my tonsil during a bout of strep. It's small, about the size of a pea. I also suffer from severe GERD and tonsil stones. My PCP said that it's likely benign and not to worry about it, but my anxiety is running rampant. I have heard horror stories about oral hpv turning into cancer and people not knowing until it's too late. How can I be certain that this isn't hpv or cancer? Also, please note that I have never smoked or chewed tobacco.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy would be confirmatory, can be advised if growth is suspicious.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Certain oropharyngeal cancers are related to HPV 16. However , jumping straight to a conclusion of cancer would not be the way to go. The polyp needs to be clinically examined by an ENT doctor. Throat and mouth swab culture and STD panel can be advised based on clinical findings and history. If there is still suspicion regarding the tonsil polyp then to be certain a biopsy can be performed which will confirm or rule out cancer and HPV. Though based on your description and history its unlikely to be a malignancy.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
Thank you. I will follow-up with an ENT specialist. I recently tested negative for HPV 16 and 18, so your response is quite comforting. I appreciate your time.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Feel free to contact us if you have any query.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 minute later
My apologies....I did have one quick question. What else can cause polyps on the tonsils? Would it be related to the GERD or tonsil stones? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:

Poor oral hygiene, recurrent oropaharyngeal and tonsil infections, acute follicular tonsillitis, tonsollith , malignancy can present as outgrowth resembling polyp on tonsil. Yes both GERD and tonsil stones can predispose a tonsil to form a polyp. If there is no evidence of tonsil pathology then the polyp alone can be removed. If there is suspicion regarding the tonsil then a tonsillectomy can be performed in consultation with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr. M.S. Khalil