Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for separated shoulder

Answered by
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9410 Questions

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: separated shoulder
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to immobilise the region, use any pain killer you have

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Do you mean you suffered a dislocation of your shoulder? If yes, then the pain will persist as long as it continues to remain dislocated, but as there is no one experienced enough to help put your shoulder back in place I would recommend the following:

+Try to make a sling or splint using paper, cardboard, or anything hard that can help immobilise it. The sling or splint should run from mid shoulder (region between your neck and shoulder) through your arm until your elbow, immobilising the whole region. Another bandage or long piece of cloth should be used to to hold your arm around your body; this cloth should be wrapped around the level of your heart or nipple level holding the arm towards the thorax

+Use whatever pain killers you have at home to help you, but of course only a pill or two (not more for at least 8 hours)

+Stay in bed either in a supine or in a seated position that helps keep the weight off the shoulder and arm region

Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on