Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for second degree skin burn

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I recently suffered a 2nd degree burn from a muffler on a motorbike, it didn't look so bad at first so I ignored it. the following night it looked much worse so I put over the counter ointment sterile gauze and wrapped it. after 5 days I began to worry so I went to a hospital. I'm currently in south Korea with no medical coverage. the doctors scraped it and shaved it, dressed it and gave me a shot and some meds. there was a small yellow discoloration at that time, about 1 inch in size. now 2 weeks later almost everything has healed but the discoloration has expanded and has healed or changed in 4 days. its 3 inches in size, its a little painful but I'm not running a fever. I'm very worried its infected but no doctors here speak English and the medical practices are not very good. I need advi e on if it looks infected and what should I do?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

I understand your current problem and concerned thing. However, I would like to view some images of wounded area so that I can understand properly.

Kindly, upload or attach some CLEAR and GOOD quality images of that area. It will help to assist you better and give proper guideline.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for second degree skin burn 6 hours later
these were taken over the past 4 days, I'm just concerned that the discoloration area isn't healing. everything else healed but it seems to have stopped healing. my biggest concern is infection. I'm not in a lot of pain but there is some swelling around the ankle and tenderness. I only have access to basic pharmacy in my location and the hospital here in south Korea is reluctant to give me antibiotics or medicated creams. is there anything I could buy over the counter or better yet online? thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for attached image. Followings are my comments:

1) I have reviewed your uploaded images. There is NO sign of pus collection or infection. 2nd degree burn usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to heal completely. Your healing process is continued with new granulation tissue. It is quite GOOD.

2) I suggest to apply Topical Sucralfate Cream over the wound area and take oral anti-inflammatory drug (Combined Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, Trypsin, and Chymotrypsin). It will help to reduce swelling, inflammation and accelerate wound healing more better. You can get above medicines Over The Counter. Do dressing regularly.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor