Suggest treatment for seborrheic dermatitis on the legs, arms, neck and back

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello ...I have a seborrheic dermatitis rash on legs arms neck and back...looks like a allergic reaction that causing my iteration....I'm using XXXXXXX hair XXXXXXX ...but is suppose to be safe....Is ther a medication to relieve my symptoms and shorten my embarrassment of this mild rash
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream and tab Cetrizine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily.
For irritation you can take tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and irritation.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Ok it's need to be something oral...because it doesn't respond or diabolical to cortisone or steroid or salicycle acid creams ...any other oral treatment besides cetrizine ? Because I'm darker skinned and infected areas will not XXXXXXX in sun and makes me look splotchy with pronounce whiter (less XXXXXXX areas) it's causes a lot of attention and creeps people out. If any other oral forms...how long does it take for a response and see noticeable improvement in skin evenness ?

Thanks

Also my condition worsens when exposed to low humidity...patches become dry and starts flake tanned skin off...and experience light itching as well
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
oral antifungal like itraconazole or ketoconazole

Detailed Answer:
Besides Cetrizine you can take oral antifungal medicines like tablet itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 2 weeks or tablet ketoconazole 200 mg twice daily for 10 days.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
They will help in faster clearing of your seborrhoeic dermatitis.
Also apply a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin on the affected areas of the body 2-3 times in a day.
This will take care of the flakiness and the dryness.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad