Suggest treatment for sebaceous hyperplasia on the face

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Cancer
Question: Hello.... I have a question regarding sebaceous hyperplasia, which I have been diagnosed with on my face, and fordyce spots, which I have also been diagnosed with on my lips and inside my cheeks.

Unfortunately, I've been suffering from some health anxiety and made the mistake of consulting "Dr. Google" , which led me to some information about rare familial cancer syndromes Lynch syndrome and XXXXXXX Torre. I'm looking for some reassurances....can you please let me know whether fordyce and sebaceous hyperplasia are quite common, as I understand, and (hopefully) that they are not markers for Lynch syndrome and XXXXXXX Torre? I've just had my first screening colonoscopy done, which was clean, my blood work is normal, as are my yearly Pap smears and mammograms. There is no history of colorectal cancer in my family.

Unfortunately, I have a lighted magnifying mirror and see every spot and blemish on my face! I'm in peri menopause, and was also wondering whether hormonal changes can cause an increase in fordyce and sebaceous hyperplasia spots?

Thank you so much for your input!
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous hyperplasia

Detailed Answer:
Hello ang thank you for asking

Sebaceous hyperplasia is a common, benign condition of sebaceous glands in adults of middle age or older. Lesions can be single or multiple and manifest as yellowish, soft, small papules on the face.

Sebaceous glands are highly hormon sensitive, and, although the number of sebaceous glands remains approximately the same throughout life, their activity and size vary according to age and circulating hormone levels.
Sebaceous hyperplasia has no direct association with malignant degeneration and is not a cause of morbidity, except perhaps related to cosmesis. Sebaceous hyperplasia has been reported in association with internal malignancy in the setting of Muir-Torre syndrome.

If all tests are properly made,You must not worry
Sebaceous hyperplasia is completely benign and does not require treatment; however, lesions can be cosmetically unfavorable and sometimes bothersome when irritated. Treatments are mostly mechanical. Lesions tend to recur unless the entire unit is destroyed or excised. Risk of permanent scarring must be considered when treating benign lesions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 26 minutes later
Thank you for your information doctor! So in (probably mistakenly) doing my google research, I thought I had read that it was sebaceous adenomas and sebaceous cancers that were potentially markers of XXXXXXX Torre, but not sebaceous hyperplasia. So sebaceous hyperplasia can be a marker for XXXXXXX Torre?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hyperplasia

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes it is a marker,but is sufficient to put the diagnosis ,this does not mean that you are suffering from disease
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 5 hours later
Thank you for your continued assistance in my questions Dr. Sera -- you have been very helpful!

So essentially, you do not feel that I have anything to obsess or worry over, as sebaceous hyperplasia and fordyce spots are common in the general population, Muir Torre and Lynch Syndrome are rare entities, and my colonoscopy is clean with no family history of colorectal cancers?

Thank you again for your reassurances.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hyperplasia

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Yes I think you have nothing to worry about it.

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee