• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst on the back

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015 in Lump
Question: I believe I have a sebaceous cyst on my back and have had it at least 4 or 5
Months. No pain no change in skin color. I decided this week to try and make it go away. I put some clindamycin phosphate topical solution that we already had from my husband's acne issues. It went from painless to painful so after two days or so, I put mupirocin ointment 2% on it. But it is more painful now and itching. Why did these cause it to become painful and what can I do now without having to go to my physician? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed lesion ,take treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
You seem to have developed an infected and inflamed sebaceous cyst. You can start over the counter pain killers such as ibuprofen to bring down inflammation. However I believe you need a course of oral antibiotics like macrolides or penicillins in case the lesion does not subside with anti inflammatory agents alone.

You should try not to handle the lesion too much .The ultimate treatment is to get the lesion removed surgically .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 15 minutes later
Thankyou. But I am confused why putting the topical solutions, I listed in my question, would cause it to get worse. How can that be ?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
irritation secondary to ingredients / handling

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Sometimes when a cyst is handled, it can get irritated leading to inflammation / increase in size. Accordingly my assumption is that application of topical antibiotics could not have led to infection or inflammation.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Thank you. I understand you are saying those two solutions could not have caused it to get worse. So, I am confused. Because it only became painful after putting these two different topical solutions on it. I was gentle and did not irritate the lump. And I would prefer to treat this at home. And at least return to it not be feeling so painful.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Local care of the area

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You seem to have developed irritation either due to clindamycin or mupirocin .
You should avoid using either of these over the lesion anymore .
Just give some cold compresses to the area and take some oral anti inflammatory agents as told earlier .It will help in reducing the swelling and pain .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist