Suggest treatment for sebaceous cyst on penis

Question
I'm going to a urologist next week. I have what I believe is a sebaceous cyst on my penis right where the shaft meets the glans. Is it a risky business to have it removed? How long does it take to heal? Are stitches usually needed?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

Assuming that it is a sebaceous cyst, surgery is usually very minor and healing can occur within a 7-10days but depends on a multitude of factors like how big is the cyst, how deep it is and how much tissue is excised during surgery.

It is indeed no risky business. Am sure your doctors would be able to remove it under local anesthesia with minimal risk. It should not last more than 30mins.

Sutures are not often used for fear that primary closure can allow the cyst to recollect. Healing by granulation is preferred. Should there be need for sutures, very tiny sutures are used and resorption by the body is usually very fast.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.