Suggest treatment for seasonal allergy
Another, issue: Don't know if I herniated myself from lifting bed as I raised the headboard with a couple of books underneath but have this pang underneath my left rib cage. Can feel it randomly at nite when lying down. I don't know if it is from having to void urine so get up to relieve myself. Still feel that area of soreness. Sporadic bowel habits are also affected. Drinking more water and less coffee/tea. Advise as I do go to VA on Tues. for blood draw and annual ckup. Thanks. (PS I am a female age 64.10 mos, 66" tall at 136 lbs --.Do not live a sedentary life still--garden, take care of husband and 13 animals to incl. chickens, outdoors cats and one 3 legged calf. )
Add specific investigations in your routine health check up.
Thanks for posting your query under HCM forum.
I have gone through your query carefully & understood your concern.
First of all, I must appreciate the active life you are leading at age of 65. You have three health issues to be considered.
1. The allergic cold you have.
Allergy has with seasonal variation. The drug like like flonase is used to break the vicious circle of release histamines in body-& the symptoms of allergy. It also helps to prevent frequent attacks of seasonal allergy.
Your experience of stopping flonase & decrease in symptoms -- further decrease in problem with change of weather (moisture/rains)-- can be explained on basis of- disappearance of allergens ( like pollens ) in air,. This removed the basic cause of your problem & so the symptoms without Flonase.
Another possible allergen affecting you, may be animal hairs/ feathers of birds)
* I would suggest you to get an allergy test done , to get a list of allergens troubling you. Try to avoid them/ get desensitization treatment done/ be careful for seasonal allergies.
2. You had a sharp pain under your left rib cage which troubles you at night while lying down position also.
With the age ,specially in women after menopause- the bones get weaker due to calcium depletion, low Vitamin D add to it. This is expressed in form of joint pains/ spinal or disc problems./ muscle pulls - You may have any of them.
I doubt you had some stress on muscles/ spinal cord while lifting the heavy objects-- which has resulted this.
* I would suggest to inform your doctor about this problem while your coming routine check up.He may add - serum calcium,serum vitamin D, Xray of spine , bone density test-to exclude/ diagnose above mentioned conditions & suggest specific treatment .
consultation of an orthopedic doctor is suggested in case spondylitis is detected.
Physiotherapy, calcium & vitamin D supplements, pain killers,will be advised as per need.
avoiding forward bending, weight lifting,are desired for arrest of the symptoms.
3. change in your bowel habits demands excessive water intake along with sufficient fibers in diet along wit small & multiple servings of food
Forming regular bowel habit,
Daily yoga exercises( specially abdominal), walking for 30 minutes helps in digestion & regular motions also contribute in regular bowel movements.
* lastly I would like to mention about restricted physical capacity- after 60s.
** So it is advisable to change & have an ideal life style according to the capacity.
Also to get your health completely investigated at coming appointment- to make the picture clear-- and get specific management under expert care & plan your life style to suit the age .
I hope, you find the answer informative & useful. Any follow up query is welcome.
The under left rib cage pain needs to be investigated / treated
Thanks for the follow up query.
Thanks for the information about your bone density test .
- It's good that you are already taking calcium & vitamin D supplements. I also appreciate your decision to go for a walk, for not only dietary supplements but also regular exercises contribute to boney health. Similarly over exertion/ weight lifting do have adverse effect on boney structure specially in advance age.
- In the light of your detailed description of the lesion under left rib cage,that has arisen after weight lifting ,though does not seem to be a scaring problem like appendicitis, kidney stone or gall stone, it has to be investigated. & treated to avoid chronic problem. for it can be -
- spleenic irritation/ inflammation,rib injury ( minutely broken rib, costochondritis (inflammation of rib bone & cartilage) ,Problem with thoracic spine)
* So I would revise the list of suggested investigations by adding X ray thorax ( chest) & also USG abdomen to exclude spleenic involvement as per your doctor's decision after physical examination.
I feel that helps you. Any other follow up query you have, I would be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Seasonal allergy natural treatment
- Labyrinthitis and seasonal allergies
- Infected boils on eyelashes seasonal allergies treatment
- Treatment and cure for recurrent seasonal allergy
- Steroid injections for seasonal allergies
- Seasonal allergy symptoms and treatment
- Cortisone injection for seasonal allergies
- Seasonal allergies loose stool
- Ulcerative colitis and seasonal allergies
- Treatment and cure for seasonal allergy