Suggest treatment for seasonal allergies like dry cough and wheezing

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 3 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Every year I get severe (dry) cough and cold during Sep-Dec period which often cured in about 15-20 days time on its own, no medication is used except for logenzes. This year I got cough again now (May 2015) but no cold. Also, it doesn't sound dry cough and I can hear wheesing noise. Every year I get a health check including chest x-ray done and there was no issues reported. This time I went to doctor and was suggested INFINAIR 5/10 mg for 15 days. I very rearly use medicing. Would this be appropriate to use?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are mostly having allergic bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, in my opinion you are mostly having allergic bronchitis.
Seasonal variation with coughing an wheezing suggest possibility of allergic bronchitis more.
For confirmation or diagnosis, you need to get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Infinair is having montelukast and levocetrizine.
Montelukast is anti allergic and levocetrizine is antihistamine drug.
Both are useful in this condition. So no harm in taking this.
Along with this drug, inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) and inhaled bronchodilators should be given.
Inhaled treatment is main therapy for bronchitis.
It gives you early relief.
So discuss all these with your doctor and start inhaled drugs accordingly.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad