Suggest treatment for scratchy throat and persistent cough

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

The last couple of days I have been having this dry scratchy throat which is causing this dry type of cough. It feels like allergies and I have been taking antihistimaines daily which seem to help to some extent but im not 100% sure what is causing it. I dont have any other symptons nor do I feel sick or anything either. The scratchyness is also cenetered more towards to back of my throat as well. What else would you recommend that I try and could this been sometime of viral infection?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some possible diagnoses and practical advises.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

It is a bit difficult to determine a final cause without doing a physical examination.

It can be a viral only if you have sore throat, if your throat is red and if you have runny nose/fever.

The fact that the cough is dry, makes it more possible to be an allergic type cough.

If your nose is blocked, but you feel like you are not having secretions, they may be dripping in the back of your throat, and causing post nasal drip, which is also possible to cause this type of cough.

So, my recommendations are:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Continue to take the antihistamine tablets regularly. Doesn't matter which one, because they all give the same effect, unless you like using one that doesn't make you drowsy.
- Do gargles with salt to clean and disinfect the throat.
- Use sore throat lozenges and if they are helpful use them as needed.
- You could also use any herbal cough syrup used for dry cough that you can find over the counter in the local pharmacy. They are not always helpful, but sometimes are.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local physician who can examine your lungs and make sure you are not having any other problem. (Even if it doesn't look like that.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 hours later
Thanks for that doctor another thing i forgot to menition it seems to really only be noticeable at night when I am in bed that is when its bad and it feels scractchy and I start to develop the dry cough. I have been using Betadine lozengers at night which seems to temporialy stop it could it be something to do with the cold air or change of season?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most possible - post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow-up question.

That can be caused by the cold dry air but it would be only dry throat, not cough.
It looks more like post nasal drip. The advises are the same as in the previous answer.

Kind Regards,
Dr.Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana