question-icon

Suggest treatment for sciatica nerve pain in back and right leg

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Question: I have broad based disc bulge and superimposed disc profusion resulting in several central canal stenosis impinging on the thecal sac with crowding of the nerve roots. There is also likely impingement of the bilateral traversing L4 nerve roots. I have disc bulge at L3-L4, at L4-L5 and L5-S1. I am waiting for a neurosurgeon referral by my GP. It's been a week and I have not heard. My pain is excruciating. No medication can calm the sciatica nerve pain in my back and right leg. What do you suggest?

The opinion received from my MRI is: multilevel degenerative disc and facet joint OA change most prominent at L3-L4 level with several central canal stenos secondary to disc profusion, facet joint OA change with thickening of the ligamentum flavum. Am I a good candidate for surgery?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I'm dr Alok, rheumatologist, pleased to answer your queries.

If you have problems, like numbness or weakness or severe pain which are not relieved by medicines then you require surgery but before this you need to see a neurosurgeon to confirm whether you need surgery or not.

In milder disease, even physiotherapy can help.
Severity in MRI is not the criteria for surgery.

hope this will help

take care
Dr. Alok kalyani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist