Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for schizophrenia and mood disorder

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 2998 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi can you please tell me if quietapine that deals with physschotic symptoms "needs to be taken for life or can it be withdrawn over a period of time - either slowly or quickly
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It varies from person to person

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The psychotic symptoms can occur in variety of conditions including schizophrenia and mood disorder. Most patients with mood disorder can stop the antipsychotic medication over a period of time in gradual manner but same is not true for individuals with schizophrenia.

I mean to say that it depends on your original diagnosis for which quetiapine was prescribed.

Having said this I must acknowledge that whatever the diagnosis people need less dose over the period of time than the initial dose.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Antipsychotic medication

doctor1 MD

Hi i need to know more about persecution delusion with a specific person. Thank you

doctor1 MD

what is the best drugs for frontal lobe dimencia

doctor1 MD

I believe my son was given a shot of Olazapine at a mental hospital and now has terrible side effects,may had been overdosed.Slurred speech and stiff limps swollening of face and hands has went down.trouble with motor skills and trembles .cant get...