Suggest treatment for schizophrenia and mood disorder

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi can you please tell me if quietapine that deals with physschotic symptoms "needs to be taken for life or can it be withdrawn over a period of time - either slowly or quickly
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It varies from person to person

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The psychotic symptoms can occur in variety of conditions including schizophrenia and mood disorder. Most patients with mood disorder can stop the antipsychotic medication over a period of time in gradual manner but same is not true for individuals with schizophrenia.

I mean to say that it depends on your original diagnosis for which quetiapine was prescribed.

Having said this I must acknowledge that whatever the diagnosis people need less dose over the period of time than the initial dose.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.