• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for scar tissue in bladder

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been told I have scar tissue in my bladder caused by High Density Radiation to fight prostate cancer. At times, this scar tissue causes retention and I require a catheter. What can be done to remove the scar tissue?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Talk to the urologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this scar tissue that causes urinary retention. This can be very disturbing and annoying to have to use a catheter so often to empty the bladder.

More information is needed to tell whether this is something that can have a one time permanent fix or not. The best person to address this question would be your urologist. Confront him and be clear about it so that he can communicate the various available options given the existing information and what your management plan is. Ask if with all the information he has there is a possibility for a one time fix for this problem with no risk of recurrence. If there is, you would be informed and guided on how to go about and if there is none, you would be told. This would help you to stop asking yourself so many questions.

This scar tissue is most likely located at the exit of the bladder. This means excising so much of it would have the risk of you develop urinary incontinence. Also, there may be a risk that the tissue would continually grow after excision just like normal wound healing goes on. Unfortunately, a complete clinical evaluation and imaging tests are needed in order to make a sound recommendation on what the possibilities and available options are.

In all, ask straight and direct questions to your doctor. Get answers and clarify all doubts with him as he has all the elements that are needed to make the final decision about this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
I have already had discussions with my urologist and I keep getting the same answers when I ask what the permanent fix is. I have been told that if the scar tissue is removed, nothing will guarantee that it won't return. I am looking for a fix that eliminates the problem and I'm being told that there may not be one. Well, as you can understand, that is not the answer I want to hear. I will be going to XXXXXXX to visit a specialist, I believe it is at the University of South Florida and I'm looking for a permanent fix, but from what you have said, am I to believe there isn't one. I'm starting to lose faith in the medical profession. My problem was caused by medical treatment and am I to understand the medical community cannot fix my problem?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up question.

Sure it is frustrating and very annoying to have a problem that was caused by medical treatment. Probably, you must have be told before treatment that this could be a possible complication from treatment. If this was not done, then there was probably a miscommunication between you and the medical team.

To be honest, every medical procedure in someway has an inconvenience. The only reason your doctors would have suggested radiation to you with all the known possible complications is because the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I will like you to think for a second whether you would have loved to deal with prostate cancer and all the complications or with this complication from radiation therapy? If you would have preferred the complications related to prostate cancer, then am sorry you made the wrong treatment choice.

Please, do not lose faith in the medical profession. Believe that we also have our limitations just like every other professions do. I did not in any way say there is no possible treatment but I must admit it is going to be a difficult problem to fix. Seeking multiple expertise input would be helpful. I wish you a successful visit and hope that you get some real solutions that can take care of this at once. Keep me updated as you see the new specialist in Florida.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much and feel free to keep the discussion going on.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3922 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Wound healing

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor I am suffering with chronic wound at calcaneous area since 3 years..., can you please suggest the wound care management for this...

doctor1 MD

Hi My daughter had her 4 wisdom teeth removed last thursday. Bottom ones were stitched top ones removed unstitched. We have kept soft foods up,...

doctor1 MD

How can I treat my historical shoe bite which has grown into a thick layer of muti layered hard skin on my corner most left feet's smallest finger....

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

I am taking antibiotics for a dog bite to my middle finger, 7 days now. I feel a little tightness on the top side of my hand at the wrist. Does...

doctor1 MD

I had a wisdom tooth extracted 3 days ago and I am still in a lot of pain. The blood clot fell out on the morning of the third day and my jaw feels...

doctor1 MD

I had some stitches in my scalp about 8 days ago. Will be removing them in about 3 more days but there is still a pinkish oozing coming from the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

128 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ivo Ditah
  • Q - What causes enlarged heart?

  • Q - What causes spotting after having sex?

  • Q - Suggest side effects of Premarin

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurrent urinary tract infection

  • Q - Can Wimpat,Keppra and Lamictal be taken when BP is high?

  • Q - When can orgasm be experienced after a total hystorectomy?

  • Q - Is tremination of pregnancy at after 26 weeks advisable?

  • Q - What causes swelling at the injection site?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Angioma

  • Q - What causes chronic Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?