Suggest treatment for scalp with itchy dandruff
Attached the pic where you can see the white areas that actually is where i can spot the dandruff and flakes comes up when i brush my head or rub my hand on it
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.
You seem to have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp or dandruff in common parlance. On scalp, seborrheic dermatitis presents as itchy, red and flaky patches just as in your case. It may also involve the skin of face with dry, flaky, red patches.
Patients usually have either an onset or a flare of there seborrheic dermatitis during winters.
I suggest you to use a shampoo with 2% ketoconazole and 2-3% salicylic acid e.g either phytoral - SP shampoo Or Salisia - KT shampoo. Use it everyday. Lather it well on to wet scalp and leave it on for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off.
I also suggest you to use a topical steroid and salicylic acid based lotion on affected areas on the scalp overnight e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05 % and salicylic acid 3% lotion. Use it for 2 weeks and thereafter continue with the daily shampoo for maintenance.
If I was the treating doctor I would also start you on 10mg of oral isotretinoin, once a day.
There are all prescription medications and I advice you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hair fall dandruff dry scalp treatment
- Suggest treatment for erythematous itchy rash on scalp
- What treatment is suggested to reduce itchiness and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for recurrent dandruff
- Dandruff in scalp grey hair treatment
- Scalp dandruff itchiness hair loss chronic condition treatment
- Treatment for itchy scalp
- Treatment for dry itchy scalp
- Suggest treatment for pimples caused by dandruff
- Itchy scalp causes and treatment
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body