Suggest treatment for scalp psoriasis

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am diagnosed with possible scalp psoriasis from 1 year..took opinion from 3 doctors.. medication worked temporary..right now m continuing with kertyol shampoo only and bought ionax t lotion.. plus m starting warm olive oil usage for scalp (read from net)..I live in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX where weather is very dry.. my hair is also dry for which I use a little loreal cream (don't want to stop using).. please help and advise if ok and what additional can I do...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ionax T shampoo every alternate day and topical steroids lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hello . Thank you for writing to us .

I have gone through your query and i understand your concern.

Psoriasis is characterised by scaly red patches on scalp which may itch. Scalp psoriasis is a steroid responsive condition and responds remarkably well to topical steroid lotion. However scalp Psoriasis may relapse after a seemingly complete cure.

Treatment modalities for scalp Psoriasis consist of coal tar and salicylic acid lotion/ shampoo and topical steroid in either lotion/ foam / gel form. Topical vitamin D analogues e.g calcipotriol lotion is also effective for scalp Psoriasis. Topical steroids lotion and/ or topical calcipotriol lotion is required to be used when the disease is active i.e red scaly itchy patches of Psoriasis on scalp. Once the patches resolve with topical treatment thereafter only coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoos and lotions can be used to keep the disease in remission. Therefore the lotion which you are using i.e ionax -T lotion (coal tar and salicylic acid lotion) is fine. You may use it as a shampoo once every other day and kertyol s shampoo on other days. However if you have active scalp psoriasis you will also require either topical steroid lotion or topical calcipotriol lotion as well.
Olive Oil and loreal cream is not appropriate treatment for scalp Psoriasis.