Suggest treatment for scalp psoriasis

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have been advised to use Ionax shampoo as I am suffering from heavy dandruff. I am using this since 2008 and every alternative day I use this. Doctors had advised me to apply another cream on the head after using this shampoo but some how I lost its name and not using. Still the dandruff issu is existing and facing lots of problem. My mother is suffering due to psoriasis so as my cousin sisters. Prequels you to advise some methods to get rid of this dandruff isse. Thanks aneesh XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be Scalp psoriasis or Seborrhoeic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic,
From your description I think of 2 possibilities. It could be scalp psoriasis or severe seborrhoeic dermatitis. Because of strong family history of Psoriasis and as IONAX-T is usually prescribed for Psoriasis I feel scalp psoriasis is more probable. I will recommend you to consult a dermatologist for diagnosis.

Please continue IONAX-T shampoo. For Scalp Psoriasis I usually give a lotion containing a topical steroid and salicylic acid (for eg: HHsalic lotion ) to be applied after bath on the scalp plaques once daily.
Hope this helped,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj