• question-icon

Suggest treatment for scalp infection

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 21 year old son has had a scalp infection for one year. I would ljek to ask a question to a deematologist and possibly an infectious disease specialist. My son has been on antibiotics (minocycline) for most of the past year. He finally stopped taking them and pustules began to form within three days. He uses head and shoulders shampoo and doesnt have oily hair or skin. Im wondering why the doctor doesnt culture the area to find out what is going on. Why cant he take a short course of antibiotics to resolve this? It seems like a bad idea to take antibiotics for so long. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Photograph required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Probably he has developed recurrent folliculitis.
Can you please upload a photograph of the involved area.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and I will be able to answer your questions better.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 45 hours later
Here some pictures. He is currently taking minocycline. (4 months). He ran out and didn't take it for 3 days and it quickly came back. He has thinning hair from orevious outbreaks. It is beginning to clear because he resumed the antibiotic 5 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seborrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
I can see lot of redness on his scalp.
It's probably due to itch.
He is having seborrhea of scalp.
I treat such cases with a mild topical steroid lotion like flucinolone to be applied daily in night and wash scalp with an antifungal shampoo like ketoconazole.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later
He gets white pustules also. They go away when he is on the antibiotics. It isnt itchy but it is very tender to touch. If he stops the entibiotics, this gets worse wuickly. Do you still have the same opinion? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes, Scalp folliculitis is usually fungal in nature to start with which gets secondarily infected with bacteria.
Give him a course of antibiotics for a week and then follow the advice given by me.
This should be helpful in long term.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you! Can I buy these lotions and shampoos over the counter? What strength and how often and long should he use them? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Available over the counter

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes these are usually available over the counter.
You can buy flucinolone 0.5 % and ketoconazole 2% shampoo.
The shampoos are to be used on alternate days.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 days later
Thank you very much! The scalp is much better already! How long should he use the shampoo and the flucinolone for?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use for 6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Continue the medication for at least a month.
After this flucinolone is to be used once in 15 days and ketoconazole twice a week for 6 months.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist