Suggest treatment for scabies

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. I was diagnosed with scabies couple of days ago, via a visual diagnosis. I had a first treatment of permethrin Sunday and have intense itching and swelling of the bumps I had. I only broke out with a few bumps on each arm and about 4 on my back. A few on my hand have also developed a halo or ring around the bump. I am looking for answers, been to 3 doctors and am still trying to figure it out. Is it really scabies or something else? HELP!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly scabies.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your attached images. It is MOSTLY suggestive of SCABIES as per exposure location (though NOT typical) if you DON'T have any associated symptoms like fever, headache, joint pain, runny nose etc.

Permethrin is the most effective treatment for scabies. It causes slight irritation of the skin with or without swelling of bump (for FIRST time user). However, the sensation is well tolerated after that. You may require 2nd Dose of T/t after 7 to 14 days.

Topical Ivermectin preparations have been found to be effective for scabies in adults for them, who have allergic or hypersensitivity reaction to Permethrin.

Superimposed bacterial infection should be ruled out. Kindly, consult with your treating doctor and make a follow-up visit after 1 week.

Maintain personal hygiene and avoid chemical products or soap for few days.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju