Suggest treatment for scabies in an elderly person

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 64 year old female and was diagnosed with scabies last Wednesday Feb 15 by my dermatologist. I immediately started the 5% Permethrin cream and the next morning took 5 Ivermectin 3mg tablets and will repeat treatment again on March 1. This morning I see very small scabby spots in a line on my right arm where the itching is the greatest. I use Sarna for the itching. Should I go back to my doctor on Monday? I have washed everything in hot water as directed and sent everything else to the dry cleaners. Does it take 3-4 days for these meds to work. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
I completely sympathise with your condition .Scabies is a horrible problem to deal with .
It is good you took the whole course of medications. Don't worry they have already started acting .
But the whole body would have reacted to the infection and takes time to settle down with the histamine release and itching.
Continue to use the anti allergic powder you are using .
The whole infection takes 2 to 7 weeks to settle down completely.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T