question-icon

Suggest treatment for sarcoptes scabiei infection

Posted on Sat, 16 May 2015
Question: My 2 grandchildren ages 4yrs and 2yrs have been itching for the last month at least, we were told it was eczema which some of it looks like. But they also get tiny blisters that pop and itch and seem to spread? Now other 4yr grandchild is itching as well as their father my 23yr old son and myself, after they sent last weekend with us?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Skin specialist's opinion/ local anti scabies medicine & self care help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thank you for the query through HCM.
The problem your grand children & yourself are facing is distressing-to disturb sleep also.- & disturbing day to day life . I understand your concern.
From description of the symptoms, it seems to be a contagious skin condition caused by an itch mite Sarcopti scabiei This mite burrows under the skin specially in skin folds of body-- to cause sever itching all over the body.The rash is typical as you have described it.
It spreads by direct skin to skin contact. your grand children being young, needed a intimate care/nursing- thus the disease was passed on to you. & your son too. Still as it's matter of children it's better to consult a skin specialist & confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment of scabies though easy- has to be extensive along with removal of mite from surroundings.
1) - Application of anti scabies ointment or lotion(Elimite,scabindon,ascabiol lotion) available over counter.Needs to be applied under the neck -after a good XXXXXXX warm water bath & good scrubbing of the rash.
* It is mandatory to avoid the medicine from entering children's mouth. APPLY it under neck only. ( face is not affected mostly),For children the medicine can be half diluted by adding clean water to it.
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children ( For it is poisonous)application has to be once a day after scrub bath ,continuously for 3 days minimum.
- All the members affected should be treated at the same time.
2) - The use of linen & cloths during this period has to be restricted/ separated. Clothing/linen has to be disinfected by boiling with soda bicarb- & washing with plenty of water & drying in sunlight.
3) treatment of infected pets/ schoolmates of children will complete the cure.
* In case there is no response to local treatment/ there is secondary infection of the rash-- A skin specialist's consultation is advised. They may need a course of antibiotics, anti histaminics, Injectable antiscabies medicine to cure such case.
I hope the answer was informative as well as useful to you. In case of follow up query I will be happy to help. These are all prescription medications so you need to meed a GP as soon as possible for a prescription.
Take care,
Thank you.

.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale