Suggest treatment for sacral fracture after a fall

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Jul 2016 in Back Pain
Question: Hello, I am a 57 year old female. 2 days ago I fell 10 feet through an attic onto a concrete surface in a garage. Went to the emergency room had xrays and CT done. Findings were a nondisplaced acute fracture of S3-S4. I cannot go to a orthopedic Dr for several more days. My question is what should I do to better help heal this. I am not in much pain. Most of the pain is in getting up and down. Is walking ok if there is not a lot of pain. Was not given any restrictions by the emergency room Doctor. Was told to follow up with orthopedic Dr. I was out of town when this happened and was not in much discomfort on the 4 hour drive back home. I just don't want to do something to displace the fracture, and I want to do as much as I can to help heal this.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bed rest is best for you.

Detailed Answer:
In a fracture of S3-S4, it is best to do a bed rest and avoid all painful activities. Any movement of the fractured fragments can cause a displacement and delay the healing. Avoid walking even if there is not much pain. Using a lumbosacral support belt is recommended while walking will help in better immobilization.
You can take a mild pain killer after meals and start with a calcium supplement to strengthen the bones. At least three weeks rest is needed for proper healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal