Suggest treatment for ruptured eardrum

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am currently in Jamaica. Went scuba diving for the first time after having lessons. Today was first time out in the ocean. I ended up blowing my eardrum. It has a small hole in it. Seen the Dr here today, very great care mind you. They gave me a shot of morphine to immediately help with the pain, my head also got hit by a buoy. Well the Dr gave me a prescription for ParaCo-Denk 500/30. These don't seem as effective in pain control like the shot did. The shot lasted quite awhile. My pain returned so I took two of these tablets like prescribed but they don't seem to help with the pain as well. We were supposed to fly back home from here in Jamaica to XXXXXXX Thursday but now we have to wait a couple of extra days do to not make my injury worse. Is there something similar to the shot that would be effective? Or maybe a shot once a day or something? I cannot take nsaids of any sorts due to severe stomach issues, allergic to tramadol gives me seizures, Tordal BAD stomach upset. I'm also on anti biotic for prevention of infection, lor at a dine at bedtime, and ear drops Ciprodex two times daily. The nurse is supposed to call and check on me tomorrow so wondering what suggestions for different pain control?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get suction clearance of the ear under a microscope.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Sea water entering the ear does cause excruciating pain.

2. If possible, get a ear suction under the microscope. There is a possibility of the pain subsiding if the middle ear is clean. Thus will also help if you are taking a flight back.

3. Dynapar AQ Injection or its equivalent (diclofenac aqueous solution) will help control the pain. The current tablets will not help in severe pain. Pentazocine is a good alternative to morphine (for exteremely severe pain) if nothing else is available. (Paracetamol and tramadol is a good painkiller but you are sensitive to tramadol.)

4. I am assuming that any head injury has been ruled out (hitting the buoy).

5. Let me know if diclofenac/ pentazocine is available.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.