• question-icon

Suggest treatment for runny nose, headaches and fatigue

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a severe running nose, cannot breathe out of my nose, have headaches, fatigue and feel like my head is the size of a basketball. I have been sneezing, coughing and am generally lethargic. I have taken DayQuil today and it helps a little. I am on vacation with my family and want to know what I could take over the counter or f I should find an urgent care
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'd better find a doctor first...

Detailed Answer:

I can suggest drugs to make you feel better but you probably need a doctor first for a complete assessment, mostly to exclude more serious infection than a common viral upper respiratory tract infection. You haven't mentioned fever. Lack of fever is usually a sign that the infection is mild. Regarding the medication you've tried (dayquil) there are various formulations, so I don't know which one you've used. Have a look at the active ingredients and I'll help you understand how it may help you or if you need something more.

Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is drug that helps with pain and fever. It may help with malaise the commonly accompanies such infections.
Antihistamines (like doxylamine) help with symptoms of allergy and may help with runny nose even during the course of infections.
Finally decongestants like oxymetazoline or phenylephrine will help with stuffy nose (congestion). Nasal irrigation with normal saline may help to remove mucus.

If your dayquil formulation does not contain a decongestant then you can take another formulation that does or use a decongestant separately. The decongestant will help you breathe easier.

A doctor may assess your condition and diagnose diseases like sinusitis which is a concern in your case. Sinusitis usually causes headache, stuffy and runny nose and sometimes fever. It commonly starts 4-5 days after the initiation of common cold. Antibiotics are required in most cases to relieve the symptoms.

So in conclusion I believe that a doctor should examine you to check whether an antibiotic is necessary for your case or not and to suggest symptomatic treatment like a decongestant for your nose.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis