Suggest treatment for runny nose and chest congestion

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had the symptoms of a cold for one full week, runny nose but no sever nasal congestion, chest congestion but no cough. Is this a cold? I have previously had a sinus infection (about a year ago).
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

It sounds like your symptoms may be related to a viral infection or possibly some degree of allergy. since you do not have a significant fever or severe sinus congestion I would suggest that you continue to observe things for the time being.

We would generally recommend that you stay well hydrated. You might also consider trying an over-the-counter nasal spray such as Flonase. This type of nasal spray has a small amount of Cortisone in it, can help to alleviate mild congestion and nasal drainage.

If your symptoms progress to severe nasal congestion, fever or chills then we would generally recommend that you touch base with your primary care physician for physical examination and consideration of antibiotic therapy.

again for now I would recommend that you continue supportive care and consider trying the over-the-counter nasal spray to see if this helps symptoms.

thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D