Suggest treatment for ringing in ears

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I attended a wedding party 2 weeks ago and was sitting next to the speakers for two hours. Since then I have been having ringing noises in my ears. I only hear it when I'm in a quiet room. Otherwise I have no hearing problems. Only in a silent quiet room will I hear a high pitched ringing sound in my ears. This started after the wedding party two weeks ago. Will this go away? What should I do? Is it permanent hearing damage?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Damage to sensitive hair cells in the inner ear...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Exposure to loud noise for a brief period can damage the sensitive hair cells in the inner ear causing noise induced hearing loss in the higher frequencies. The damage to the hair cells may be subtle or severe depending upon the duration of exposure and the amount of noise.

The ringing in the ears (tinnitus) is usually emitted by the hair cells in the cochlea and the hearing nerve. This gets worsened in various conditions, but more so, when there is damage to the nerves in the higher frequencies.

Most of the times, the tinnitus will resolve by itself without much intervention. If it doesn't get better even after a week, get an audiological evaluation done.

Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Try taking nutrition supplements like B-complex. The former and the latter, helps in rejuvenation of the damaged hair cells.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for the answer. What kind of doctor should I see to get audiological evaluation? ENT specialist or Audiologist or other type of doctor? What is the difference between these doctor types?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult an ENT specialist...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Please consult an ENT specialist. He will examine you thoroughly and send you for audiological investigations. ENT Specialist is a doctor whereas an audiologist is a technician who performs hearing tests.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Wish you good luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon