Suggest treatment for right-sided swelling below calf after injury

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell through a rotted spot on a porch about 3 weeks ago. My left leg went through to almost my knee. It instantly swelled up on the right side below my calf and just scratched me up on the left side. The swelling hasn't gone down, even with the occasional ice applied to it. I'm not sure if it's still swelled or just a big knot. it doesn't hurt to walk on it or to the touch really. Just feels like a numbed swelling. Just wondering if I should tough it out or see a doctor, and just generally wanting opinions on it. thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elevation, active toe movement and analgesic are of help.

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

I have gone through your query , photograph and understand your concern. You are having swelling of your leg and foot but it seems not so serious as it is not painful during walking, touching or otherwise. However it is better to see the doctor always. Keeping limb elevated on pillow is useful. Active toe movement will be useful in relieving swelling. Analgesic such as ibuprofen is useful in relieving pain.

You can discuss with your doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon