Suggest treatment for right-sided flank pain

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had right flank pain and now abd pain starting 3 days ago. Tried clear liquids for 24 hours. No fever. Pink blood from stool--don't think it's a hemorrhoid--stool showed light pink blood today. (I'm an old LPN) Pain is not getting better. Ibuprofen helps some, but pain is not getting better in general.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs evluation fo rblood in stools, supportive care for pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Pain in flanks not responding to medications is likely a musculoskeletal pain or visceral . But more important here is the blood in stools. NO matter what is causing it, its not normal and needs immediate evaluation to sort out the cause. Stool exam, colonoscopy preceded by digital rectal examination and other baseline work up. History of Ibuprofen use should be considered as well to rule out ulceration in the bowel as cause of the blood in stools.

Nutshell, more important is blood in stools and that needs evaluation and sorting out the cause and treating accordingly. pain in flanks needs adequate analgesia . NSAIDs with muscle relaxants and some rest should help. Talk to your doctor or even you may go to ER and let them decide what is causing it.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
I have a great acupuncturist/internist, any thoughts on acupuncture for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes acupuncture helps too and is advised in one of the non pharmacological ways to combat hiccups. Must try it if available.
Khan