Suggest treatment for right shoulder injury

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, my name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am a powerlifter. Last week I seem to have injured my right shoulder. It did not hurt until the next day. There is no swelling or lack of mobility. It just hurts when I put pressure on it on awkward positions. I can still bench press heavy with no pain, however I do not want to make it worse. I have taken a week off from weight training. I am just curious as to how long the healing time is for a smaller injury like this, as I have a lifting competiton in seven weeks.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It needs 4-6weeks approximately for a shoulder problem to heal completely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic,
I read your question carefully and I can understand your concern.

You may have pulled a muscles or even irritated any of the ligaments.
It needs at least 4-6 weeks to heal completely, if it won't get hurt again. It is a good decision that you took a break from your lifting this week. I will also give some recommendations which will help to fasten the healing process.
- Use Ibuprofen 400mg, 1 tablet every 8 hours for next 2-3 days to help more with relieving the pain and the inflammation.
- Use a local analgesic cream (eg. Diclofenac), 3-4 times/day to relieve the local inflammation.
- Use ice locally if you find it helpful.
- When you will restart power lifting, consider doing first those movements that are not painful, and stop if something it painful.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor who can examine the shoulder and identify the specific tissue that has been injured and advise specific exercise that would prevent further damage. .

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 18 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to have been of help.

Detailed Answer:

You are welcomed. Glad to have been of help.

Feel free to follow up with me anytime.
If you don't have anymore questions about this issue please kindly close and rate the answer.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad