Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My father is 51 years old and he was suffering jointpain problem from last 10 years . From last 7 year's he was taking
Ugecic 20 mg
shelcal 500 mg
muvera 15 NA
Medicine without any prescription.
And form last two years he cant even move his hands and fingers also in the morning after waking up.
It gives continueous pains in every joints of body like hands, ankles, knees, back etc .....
Now from last 3-4 months their was infection occurred without any injury at the ankle of leg. What actually happened is initially their is swelling and extreme pains at the particular location of anklet and after 20-25 days puss and black blood comes out from that. Now the doctor prescribed medicine along with the dressing and almost it 70% recovered.
But the same thing happened in back side also from last 2-3 days

Below are the test reports -

Tyoroid -normal
Haemoglobin - 82 %
E.S.R. - 55 mm at the end of 1 hour
R . A. Test - positive

Blood sugar -
Fasting 93.04
Post prandial 148 mg

Below medicine prescribed by local doctor

HCQS 200 MG
FOLITRAX 2.5 MG
NAPRASYN NA
ZEVIT NA
SAAZ DS NA

So we need to know what is the exact problem and if any other tests we need to be done to detect ????
And what are the solutions for this ???
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your father is having rheumatoid arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing healthcaremagic for posting your query.

I'm Dr. Sudhir Kumar,

I have gone through your question in detail and understand your concern.

On the basis of investigations your father is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis as his rheumatoid factor test is positive and ESR is high.

Your doctor has started correct treatment as he has started disease modifying drugs for Rheumatoid arthritis along with analgesic and vitamins. As his hemoglobin is also low you can add iron supplements,otherwise treatment is OK. For wounds if still not healed he may need dresing.In my view no other test is required at present as disease is already diagnosed. He needs is continous treatment as rheumatoid arthritis may require lifelong treatment.

You can discuss with your treating Doctor about it.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing your father good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj