Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 517 Questions
i am waiting for a specialist referral with regard to my recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis - it is another 5 weeks away and at the moment I have been self prescribing ibuprofen and paracetamol to aleviate the joint pain - do i need to speak to my doctor about getting something that may be more efficient or not so 'self medicated' - I seem to be fine on these although I am still very stiff in the morning of course because I can only take the prescribed dosage which does not last over night.
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
see a rheumatologist as soon as possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today.

I am so sorry to hear that you have to wait for 5 weeks, it is a huge time, it may lead to permanent deformity. I advice you to see your doctor as soon as possible. Ask for methotrexate which is a anchor medicine for rheumatoid arthritis. Probably you need some more medicine, but just pain killers are not the answer

Hope this helps and provides answers to your question.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to ask me again
I wish you good health, take care
--Dr. Alok
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor