Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis and hypothyroidism

Dr. Heera Lal Poonia

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I ha he rheumatoid arthritis and hypothyroid 65 year old male.taking prednisone 15 mg and zoloft 50 mg.mind racing and suicidal thinking no attempts.is this a side effect

Prescribed ativan 1 mg to calm me down
Answered by Dr. Heera Lal Poonia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, your suspicion is true,

Detailed Answer:
Dear Grobau , welcome to hcm. Thanks for choosing us.

Yes, your suspicion is true, these are the side effects of medicines you are taking. Steroids and zoloft tablets cause mood swings, which is causing these problems to you. Ativan (lorazapam) is correct remedy for these symptoms.

But you didn't mention anything about thyroid treatment, as hypothyroidism can also lead to these symptoms. If you are not taking thyroxine supplement, then first do a thyroid profile and meet a doctor. You may not have these symptoms.

If thyroid is in normal ranges after treatment and if symptoms persist, you need to visit your treating doctors urgently to change the medicines or reduce their dosages. You have to visit rheumatologist and psychiatrist.

I hope my reply will benefit you. Please write to HCM or me for follow up queries. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Heera Lal Poonia 16 hours later
Thank you,I am on thyroid meds tsh 4.i am on Enbrel trying to lower prednisone but after 5 years adrenals very weak causing Addissonian symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Heera Lal Poonia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
visit rheumatologist and psychiatrist.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Grobau, thanks for follow up question. Again welcome to hcm.

Since your tsh is normal and you are taking medicines regularly, it's time to visit rheumatologist and psychiatrist urgently. You need to either change your medicines or reduce the dosage if possible. If neither is possible then additional drugs for mood stability will be needed. Request your psychiatrist for that as it could be very serious if you continue to have these symptoms.

I hope my reply will benefit you. Please write to hcm or me for follow up queries. I wish you good health. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad