Suggest treatment for restless leg syndrome

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I BEGAN WITH RESTLESS LEG SYSTREM ,BUTNOW BOTH LRGS ARE ACTIVE. I HAVE CHECKED NEGATIVE FOR CLOTHS AND WONDER IF NERCES ARE INVOLVED.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your statement is not entirely comprehensible

Detailed Answer:
My apologies but your statement is not entirely comprehensible to me. It sounds as if you believe you have RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME and you are saying that BOTH legs are involved. That is the way RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME operates. There is really no such thing as a person with a true diagnosis of RESTLESS LEGS SYNDROME (RLS) who only has the condition in 1 leg. Ok...next point.

You say you have checked negative for CLOTHS? What do you mean by the word CLOTHS? And you are now wondering if ?NERVES? are involved?

Well, the current thinking about RLS is that it is a central nervous problem which means the problem is thought to most likely be originating from either deep within the brain or spinal cord....or perhaps it's a combination. However, it is not believed to be a problem that involves NERVES outside the spinal cord. This means that it is not considered now (as it once was thought) to be a peripheral nerve irritation, compression, or trauma of some sort.

Having said that we still recommend doing certain laboratories in people with symptoms of RLS such as serum B12, folate, FT4 (thyroid hormone), TSH (related to thyroid hormone), Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Mg, Iron, TIBC, ferritin, Transferrin, ESR, C-reactive protein (CRP), and Testosterone (Total and Free). In your case and as a routine for laboratory draws I would recommend getting a CBC with differential, standard electrolytes, and liver and kidney enzymes and parameters to make sure those 2 organs are in good shape.

I would also check for diabetes if that hasn't been done in a long time such as HbA1C, fasting glucose, and random cortisol levels.

I do not believe you require an electrical study for any reason no matter what the labs show or don't show since having symptoms of RLS is unlikely to put you into a position where an EMG or NCV (nerve conduction velocity testing) would be likely to give us any useful information. If your labs are all normal then, I would simply pass on to the phase of giving you best treatments and see what happens.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.