Suggest treatment for restless leg syndrome

Dr. Saad Sultan

Posted on Fri, 5 Feb 2016 in Mental Health
Question: is there a cure for the awful curse of restless legs
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
exact cause need to be found..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM
I am Dr Saad Sultan and will be answering your query. I have read and understood your health concerns.
Restless legs need to be investigated.
How frequent you have these symptoms?
How about during sleep?
Have you consulted any physician before?
Are you using any antidepressants?
As far as cure for restless legs are concerned it has got good prognosis if exact cause can be found.
There is need to get your full neurologic assessment . After then I will be able to proceed.
If I am your attending physician I will get your serum ferritin and iron studies. I would also get your full blood count, urea , creatinine and thyroid function tests.
Meanwhile stay calm and use avoid alcohol , caffeine and nicotine.
Meet your physician and maintain proper followup
Get well soon
Dr Saad Sultan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saad Sultan 24 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I will deal with your questions in the order in which they were presented. (1) whenever I sit down the restlessness starts after about 10 to 20 minutes. (2) I take 8mg. requip about 1 hour before I go to bed and I do get a nights sleep. (3) I have already consulted 9 physicians and you are the tenth. (4) I am not using antidepressants.
What is the procedure for getting (1) a full neurologic assessment. (2) serum ferritin and iron studies. (3) full blood count, urea, creatinine and thyroid functions.
Thanking you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see neurologist for clinical assessment

Detailed Answer:
Welcome at HCM
I greatly appreciate your follow up.
Restless leg syndrome is either idiopathic mean without any cause or it may occur secondary to other causes as well. Among these low iron levels is most common cause. Response of patient to treatment largely depends upon whether cause is getting treated or not.
How about your symptoms with 8 mg reqiup? Are you improving?
There is need to do workup . In your blood it is important to check levels of ferritin , iron , folate , vit b12, magnesium , urea , creatinine and thyroid hormones. Since deficiency of these may be a cause of this.
Neurological assessment means clinical examination coupled with Electromyography and nerve conduction studies.
You need to see a neurologist so that all blood workup and neurological assessment can be done.
Hope your query is adequately addressed.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Saad Sultan 6 hours later
Hello again Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX firstly let me thank you for being so thorough and prompt in dealing with my medical complaint and questions. In relation to the medication "REQUIP" I started taking 1mg. about 22 years ago and the dose has been gradually increased over the years to its current level of 8mg. in order to contain the problem.
Just as a matter of interest I am 76 years and I have suffered with restless legs for almost 40 years. I have a brother who is 74 and he also has the same complaint. My two older brothers never had the complaint. Life was torture until I discovered "REQUIP" in a Doctor's column in a magazine in England.
Thank you again and good luck in your work. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saad Sultan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
thank you so much

Detailed Answer:
Welcome XXXXXXX at HCM
I greatly admire your follow up and hope you may get well soo. Its pleasure for me that I helped you and brought smile on your face.
I will be always here to help you any time.
If you have any health related query do ask me anytime directly with my name tagged. Your query will directly come to me.
I hope you a healthy and blessed life ahead. Do close the discussion and feel free to ask anytime.
Dr Saad Sultan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee