Suggest treatment for restless leg syndrome

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: I have recdently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am on 75 mg of lyrica per day and it is not relieving my pain. my joint pain is getting worse. I am taking advil and tramacet. nothing is helping. now I am getting severe restless leg syndrome, what's wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
buprenorphine transdermal patch

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since your pain is being not relieved by lyrica and tramacet my advise for you is to use buprenorphine transdermal patch.
It is available in strenghts of 5 mg,10 mg and 20 mg.
You can use the 20 mg patch since your pain is severe.
Apply the patch to a dry, non-irritated, non-hairy area of your skin on your upper body such as your chest, upper back, or the outside of your arms. Leave it in place for seven days and then remove it and replace it with a new patch, but apply the replacement patch to a different area of skin on your upper body. Avoid using the area from where you have removed the patch for at least three weeks. Continue to replace your patches once a week, on the same day of the week.
For restless leg syndrome i would recommend ropinirole and pramipexole.These medications reduce the amount of motion in your legs by affecting the level of the chemical messenger dopamine in your brain.
Discuss with your local physician before using these drugs.
Hope i have answered your query.
Dr De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Thank-you. Can fibromyalgia cause this type of pain? I have had evey blood test u can imagine and nothing is showing up. I think it is some type of rheumatoid arthritis. What do u think?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Fibromyalgia causes this type of widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.
Since your blood tests are normal by using buprenorphine transdermal patch u should be alright and u will get relief from your pain.
If u have no more clarifications then rate the answer and please close the thread.
Wish u good health.

Dr De