Suggest treatment for renal calcus

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: renal calcus treatment

Hello Doctor

I have 5 mm renal calcus in my left kidney from past one year .I have been drinking water about 3-4 ltrs/day .could you please suggest a medication to dissolve the stone also do let me know for how long should i take the medication
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
potassium citrate helps.

Detailed Answer:

kidney stones are formed by excessive amounts of solutes in your urine and there precipitation as crystals. ultimately leading to stones . there are no specific treatments to dissolve the stones. only medical treatment are to help prevent growth of stones and occurrence of new stones .

stones are formed from calcium, oxalates, uric acid and phosphorus. so diet rich in these food stuffs should be avoided. specially non-veg food gives rise to high uric acid and phosphorus and can contribute to stones. an attempt should be made to find the cause of stones by blood and urine tests of estimation of calcium, phosphorus, uric acid and oxalate in urine and blood.

only things which are known to decrease the occurrences of stones are 3 to 4 Litre fluid intake/day( if the kidneys are normal) and potassium citrate supplements under guidance of your treating doctor.

most stones of < 6 mm with either keep lying in the kidney without any problems or come out by themselves without any operation.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad