Suggest treatment for renal and kidney failure?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My 83 year-old-mother in law is in renal and kidney failure. Also doctors just tried to insert a stent between bladder and kidney. Had to discontinue surgery because of drastic drop in blood pressure. What is the most likely course of events now?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images of scans.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the forum.
Well, it depends on the cause and site of obstruction.
With the details given, i guess that the doctors want to place a stent in the ureter to relieve obstruction.
In this situation, usually some imaging method would have been done, like ultrasound scan or CT SCAN.
I can comment better if these results are posted.
Sincerely,
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 days later
I do not have access to these films. I do know that they kidney is producing 40% of normal outflow, and that the stent is 60% blocked.

I am not expecting detailed information. I would like to know, very generally, her life expectancy and what to expect as she obviously declines. She will not accept breathing or feeding tubes, but will accept one for hydration.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Renal failure is broadly classified into two main types.
Obstructive cause and non obstructive cause.

Obstruction due to stone blockage is usually reversible, whereas obstruction due to cancer is usually irreversible.

Non-obstructive means chronic kidney disease ( the kidneys themselves are diseased) usually due to medical illness like diabetes. This is usually managed with dialysis.
In essence, treatment and prognosis entirely depend whether it is obstructive or not.
Life expectancy again depends on the cause.
Breathing tubes may be needed temporarily if the kidney failure worsens.
Hydration lines are usually inserted in such situations.
Feeding tubes usually are not used, unless she is not able to take food orally.
Hope it is clear.
Sincerely,