Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for relationship issues with parents

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 2953 Questions

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
I am having relationship issues with my parents. They aren't an emotional support to me. Whenever I discuss problems with them, they seem unconcerned about it. They carelessly say that I have to figure out the answer. I see no benefit in their relationship. I don't have any friends of same age group whom I can share problems with. Please help. It is an emergency.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is need to establish connection

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears that you are not able to establish a connection with other persons. As I can see that the connection is not established with parents, friends as well as psychiatrist. I must inform you that there is no fault of anybody as we all are wired differently and have different thought process.

In my view first we need to find out the cause of such poor connection. It may lie somewhere in your childhood in form of rejection, poor emotional support, both working parents, fear of rejection among others. In addition it is possible that while growing up you were subjected/perceived received rejection among the peer group leading to further isolation and problem.

Once we know the reason for establishment of poor connection we need to correct it with help of cognitive approaches.

In my view rather than finding fault with anybody there is need to change thought process in a form which is adaptive.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on