Suggest treatment for refractory foot pain

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I AM SURE YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH MY CASE-65 WHITE MALE-SEVERE PAIN AS A RESULT OF VINCRISTINE IN CHEM-FOOT DAMAGE-CONTROLLED FOR 18 YEARS. LAST 2 YEARS NO CONTROL. NOW THE WORST PAIN, TREMORS,NUMBNESS IN HISTORY. LAST MONTH 12.5 & 25 MCG FENTANYL PATCH-NO HELP. THE PAIN IS SO BAD I CRY FOR HOURS. ANY SUGGESTION-PLEASE HELP-I THINK THE PAIN SO STRONG IT WILL KILL ME.I NEED SOME QUALITY OF LIFE. P.N. FOR 2 YEARS.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Has BOTOX been tried

Detailed Answer:
Good evening.

I am a neurologist and BOTOX injector who says patients all the time with very refractory foot pain due to both chemotherapy as well as diabetic sequelae of severe neuropathy.

BOTOX is not FDA approved for small fiber neuropathy but it does work and I don't hesitate going to it when everything else fails. IVIG has also had trials for small fiber neuropathy which at times I've used in combination with BOTOX.

Other things I will mention to you so you can check on but there are patients who are Vitamin D deficient and have rather unusual neuropathic symptoms which have been improved and in 1 case of mine actually resolved once their Vitamin D levels have been bolstered to levels of 60-80. Same thing can be said of Vit. B12, folate, and magnesium levels if any are in deficiency in terms of chronic foot pain due to demyelination or toxicity issues having to do with chemotherapy.

Is your diabetes under good control? What's the HbA1C over the past year?

I hope this answer satisfactorily addresses your question. If so, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback?

Also, if there are no other questions or comments, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so this question can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary.

Please direct more comments and questions to me in the future at:

bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi and I would be honored to answer you and continue this discussion.

All the best.

The query has required a total of 16 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.