Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for refractive error in right eye

Answered by
Dr. Dadapeer K


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 5709 Questions

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Dear Doctor,

My son is 5 years n 2 months. He recently complained to me that he can see only a little with his right eye.. We had did an eye check when he was 3 in a camp.. and didn't find anything that time.. So I took him immediately and checked his eyes.
I was shocked to realise he has -4 cylindrical and some spherical power in his right eye. His left eye was recorded at -0.75. After wearing the specs now from today he feels better.. but can't read perfectly yet with the bad eye.
The doc said to come back after 2 months.
Now how do I confirm if this is not some Ambiliopia?I heard it is better to treat earlier.What should I do for this?
Many parents scare us this is due to watching TV prolonged.. Can we allow him to watch limited with glasses on?
Do we need to take extra care of anything ?
Is there any eye excersise I should teach him?
Any medicine? Supplements?
There is no family history from both parents side for any eye problems.What could have caused this?
and why deteriorated so soon?
Any suggestions on where in XXXXXXX I can get best attention for a second opinion and treatment ?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult paediatric ophthalmologist.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care Magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history.
It seems from the history that your son is having refractive error in the form of myopic astigmatism in right eye and simple myopia in left eye.
I can understand your concern but no need to be worried as this can be treated.

Refractive errors are common problems of eye seen in childhood. Most of them occur randomly because of difference in the growth of eye ball. Positive family history is not a requirement and they can occur even in the absence of family history also.
Unequal refractive errors can lead to development of ambylopia. But since the refractive error is diagnosed early treatment can prevent development of ambylopia and it can reverse it also. You should not do further delay now.
Hence first thing to be done is to consult a pediatric ophthalmologist for examination and confirmation of diagnosis and if there is ambylopia treatment in the form of occlusion therapy should be started.
Hence you need to meet paediatric ophthalmologist at the earliest.
You can consult Samprathi Eye hospital which treats eye problems in children in XXXXXXX

Dietary supplements rich in vitamin A like green leafy vegetables are helpful. Watching T.V. can be done. But it should be done from a distance of at least 6 metres or more.

Hope I have answered your questions and it is helpful to you.

Do write back to me after consulting paediatric ophthalmologist.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Vitamin a

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been feeling light headed every morning now soon after I wake up while i am preparing breakfast and it stays fir about hours then I am...

doctor1 MD

I have a scab forming at the tip of my tailbone..( butt crack) I ve tried everything from Vitamin A D, Neospirin, fungal ointments.. What is it and...

doctor1 MD

hi i am a 24 year old male i currently have a mucus discharge that is really annoying on my day to day life i am a vegetarian and take a mens multi...

doctor1 MD

Vitamin D defiency or MRI? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My 2 yrs old nephew had Dihorrea and...

doctor1 MD

Hi sir. My sperm report first time I have taked,my total sperm count is 15 million /ml, active motile 5%,non motile 90%,sluggy motile 5%,how can I...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am 29 years old male. I leak a lot of precum almost all the time. It does not just happen when I have sexual thoughts. It can happen just...

doctor1 MD

I have problems in my mouth for the past year. I started off by losing my voice all of a sudden for a few seconds. Sometimes I would have the...