Suggest treatment for refractive error in a child

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Dear Doctor,
My 6 and half year old son having cylindrical lenses left eye -2.25 axis 160 degree n right eye having -0.75 axis 160 degree . is there any possibility to so that the eyes can be cured to normal
thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He needs to use spectacles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that your son is having refractive error in the form of myopic astigmatism.
Refractive errors are common conditions in childhood, no need to worry. He requires treatment by use of appropriate spectacles.
This is the only treatment available for his age group.
If he uses spectacles he will be fine and his eyes will develop normally.

He needs to use spectacles regularly and need eye examination once in a year to find out any change in refractive error.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 38 minutes later
Doc. he wear spectacles but it cause him discomfort during sports , So he doesn't wear it during the sports for about 4 to 5 hours daily . would it cause any adverse effect on eyes , he plays cricket ,
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can cause increase in refractive error.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Wearing of spectacles during most of the waking hours is important in children as it prevents increase in refractive error.
As far as possible please see that he wears spectacles, this will help him to see the cricket ball better.
Not using of spectacles will put strain on the eye muscles which can lead to increase in refractive error. Otherwise also in children the refractive error increases because of growth of the eyeball, and not wearing of spectacles adds to it and causes further increase.

Hence he needs to wear the spectacles as far as possible.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards