Suggest treatment for reflux

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi Doctor,
My child is in his 5th month, he is having reflux quiet often now days and he was not drinking milk fully(breast feeding) . he was doing good in the previous month but now he seems become some thin.
i would like to know what should be done to reduce the reflux?
i want to know whether the type of food taken by mother effect baby to cause this reflex?

XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
try domperidone

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Reflux is a very common in problem in infants Upto one year. The reason is that the food pipe and stomach junction is not tight enough . This results in reflux of stomach contents up .
I usually advice my patients to burp well for atleast 15 min after each feed.
Also once you start weaning in the next 2 months start with thickened feeds.
Maternal diet has.no relation to reflux in babies.
Keeping head end up when the baby is lying down will definitely help .
Domperidone can be given for month to see if it helps. It is a prokinetic drug which helps in reducing reflux.
Wishing him speedy recovery.

Dr Arun