Suggest treatment for reduced sperm motility

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: my sperm count is 40, active motile is 30%, sluggishly motile are 20%, non-motile are 50%.. is this count sufficient to conceive a child. If not... will Tab. Peternia be helpful for me ? Please suggest medicine to increase sperm count and motility.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low sperm motility

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
First of all, your report could have been interpreted better, had you attached it as a scanned pdf copy with your query.
However, the report shows you have a reduced sperm motility. That can affect your fertlity too, if prompt measures are not taken.
A reduced sperm motility may be due to several reasons including lifestyle and dietary factors, stress, high BMI, recent infection, persistent and prolonged use of tight undergarments, prolonged working in hot climate etc.
Simplest measures involving diet and lifestyke modifications can be very effective in this condition.
My recommendations are-
1. Low fat, high fibre regular and frequent home-made healthy diet
2. Please avoid stress, alcohol and tobacco.
3. Avoid wearing tight undergarments.
4. Plenty of oral fluid should be consumed- approximately 3-4 lit/ day.
5. Please avoid any traditional or OTC medication, for they may also affect the motility of your sperms.
6. Please avoid intercourse with multiple partners ( if applicable)
7. Seek prompt treatment for any symptoms related to urogenital system.
8. You may also have a multivitamin combined with antioxidants. Paternia tablet that contains antioxidants can also be taken.
9. Maintain proper guidelines for semen analysis.
A repeat test may be needed after a couple of weeks to a month to find out any improvement.
For any further information, please attach your scanned investigation report.
I would also need some additional information-
1. Did you have fever in last one month?
2. Do you have any symptoms related to urogenital system?
3. Do you have any chronic medical illness?
4. Do you have history of any sexually transmitted infection in the past?
I hope above answer is helpful to you. Please rate this if you are satisfied.
Please write back with the above mentioned information for any further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 days later
Dear Dr.

I would like to inform that

1. I did not have any fever since one year.
2. No symptoms related urogenital system, but yes.... I was told by some doctor that I am having Testicular Vericocil.. but even though my wife conceived two times, but pregnancy discarded accidently.

3. I am a patient of Hypertension and High Cholesterol since last more than 6-7 years. I am taking medicine Ciplar, Losartan- H (Hydrazide) Atorvas-F, etc.

4. The STD related problem was also diagnosed 5-6 years back i.e. Genital Herpes.. but during that period we also got a child, who is now 5 year old and quite healthy. I was put on Accyclovir. Now also episodes of re-occurrence repeats after 2-3 months for 2-3 days with no severity and I use to take Accyclovir for 8-10 days and its ok.

I am very much frustrated from different illnesses.

Kindly suggest some effective medicines.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multifactorial causation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for providing such a wonderful reply. You have given all the required details.
Now, I can tell you that you had several factors affecting your fertility adversely.
1. Hydrocoele at any point of time affcts fertility by affecting scrotal temperature.
2. But the problem that can be more appropriately attributed is recurrent genital herpes. For that, my recommendations are

i. Maintain proper oral hydration
ii. Avoid any form of sexual intercource with your partner
iii. Avoid sharing towel etc. with your partner.
iv. For more severe condition, you may need Acyclovir 200 mg 5 times a day for 5 days.
v. For recurrences more than 6 times in a year, longterm antiviral treatment with acyclovir 400 mg twice daily for 12 months .

Alongwith them you need to follow my earlier advice.
Regarding the chronic diseases, strict control of hypertension and dyslipidemia should be maintained. I think your medications are correct for them.

And above all you should consult a venereal disease specialist for evaluation and exclution of all other STIs Your partner should also be evaluated.

Please don't worry. Your condition is treatable and hope you will be fine with medications.

If you have any queries, please write back to me.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please close this thread and rate my answer.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 13 hours later
Dear Sir,
I would like to extend my heartiest thanks for your valuable suggestions. There are some more doubts, which I would like to share with your goodself.

The High Cholesterol and medication for Hypertension for long time also affected me with low libido resulting a feeling of minor Erectile Dysfunction some times. Kindly suggest the following:
1. Which medicine should I take to boost the libido and proper erection, which have no side effects.

2. Whether genital herpes may also be convert in to HIV or other infections which are dangerous to life.
3. Whether taking Acyclovir for continuous 12 months long time will cause negative effect on Lever or Kidney.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Healthy lifestyle & diet and stress management

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sharing your concerns again.
Here are the answers of your questions-
1. This is a misconception that only medications for chronic non communicable diseases cause erectile dysfunction. Much more harm is impacted upon by the presence of those diseases actually.
Whatever it may be, Erectile dysfunction is usually treated with a healthy lifestyle, balanced diet and most importantly proper stress management and treatment of underlying diseases.
So, rather than taking a medicine, relaxation sessions to avoid stress and anxiety, maintenance of sleep hygiene, strict control of chronic diseases and avoiding any substance abuse, e.g. alcohol, tobacco will actually help you out.
2. No, herpes can't cause HIV or AIDS? But, there is increased chance of Herpes if there is AIDS and also one must rule out all the sexually transmitted infection if one is found to be had because coinfections are common.
3. Lastly, every medication has its side effects. So has Acyclovir. But, having recurrent Herpes infection is much more dangerous. So, after considering the risk benefit ratio this regimen is decided. However you should consult a local venereal disease specialist before starting long term Acyclovir treatment.
If you are satisfied with my answer please close the thread and rate my answer. For any further questions, please write back to me.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju