• question-icon

Suggest treatment for redness on the elbow

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: TO Dr. XXXXXXX Banerjeen my arm hurts where you draw blood do you want to see it nothing got me but it feels like a booster

I went down to laundry room to see anything on ground dont remember seeing anything down there hiv test? today my arm hurts this morning why?

the weather is overcast I'm in XXXXXXX beach
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
is there any swelling/redness over the arm?

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Is there any swelling/redness over the arm? Can you remember if you'd, by any chance, hurt your arm?

Any other problem apart from the pain?

Yes, you can take a picture of the area and upload it here, let me see...

No need to worry about HIV if there's no penetrating skin injury with any suspected objects...also since you haven't seen any objects so most probably there wasn't any...

For the time being, just take Tylenol, it'll help with the pain...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
I crack my elbow but it doesn't have to do with it like knuckles the pain was this morning I don't recall picking up anything an unlnown object just don't know
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow-up consultation..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Yes, I've seen the image, although there's a bit of redness, no obvious signs of any injury as of now...

Just apply some ice compression/frozen bag of pea over the area three times daily for the time being...

If still hurting, take Tylenol(PARACETAMOL) 650mg SOS basis (after some food, not to exceed more than three times daily), this should help...stay rested...

Let me know how you stay later on...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 6 minutes later
Wait I should go for testing??? Like I said don't recall touching anything
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
no need for testing..

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

No, no need to panic, as you've not recalled touching anything, so most probably there wasn't anything to worry here...

No need for testing, relax, don't worry...I've seen the area, even in the image also there's no evidence of any obvious injury...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 10 minutes later
So why is it redness
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be due to several other reasons..

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

It can be due to several other reasons like improper positioning of the arm, pressure over the arm(due to improper sleeping posture), some sudden hit to the elbow(can even happen during sleep/unknowingly), even due to summer heat(Miami can be pretty hot during this time) and several other reasons, like I've mentioned, not necessarily means that you've had any obvious injury..

No need to worry...just follow the advises given earlier, it'd be fine...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 8 minutes later
Can it stretching the arm out force one the elbow to crack would that area have to do something with it
Brief Answer:
yes, it can be...

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Yes, sudden forceful stretching can certainly cause this, moreover, just follow the advises given earlier, you should be fine...if at all, despite following advice, you notice any visible swelling around the area/difficulty in moving the arm/increase in pain, then you need to get an X-ray done of the Elbow joint(AP and Lateral view) to look into it further for any possible injury(unlikely though)...

Take Care
Kind Regards

really? ill let you know I'm really ocd
Brief Answer:
you're most welcome anytime...

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
You're most welcome anytime...

As I see, your follow-up counter is exhausted, so if you want to ask further, kindly open up another new question thread for any further discussions...

For future reference, you can always get in touch with me, below is my Direct follow-up link through which you can contact me directly anytime anywhere, I'll be happy to help -

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=71041

Take Care
Kind Regards

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist