Suggest treatment for redness on skin with black patches

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear sir , am XXXX from XXXXXXX
I am using metacortil - lite since 7months, now my skin became red with black patches, now my condition is horrible I want to suicide...kindly plz suggest me anything for fast recovery...plz
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
stop using the cream straight away

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
You seem to be using a triple combination pigmentation reducing cream which contains a steroid. Such creams if used for long, may lead to side effects of steroid.
Stop the use of this cream straight away. Start vitamin c 500 mg twice in a day( tablet celin). Use a good moisturiser like hymos twice in a day. Apply a good sunscreen in morning( suncote/rivela/shadowz).
Also upload a pic of your face so that I can let you know about further management. You may do the same by clicking on upload report/image icon which is on right side of query page.
The condition is treatable so do not bring any negative thoughts in your mind.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 minutes later
Thank u madam...my lips also turned black plz suggest something for that?
And plz suggest me for complexion also
My skin became very dark I think these are all bcoz of that stupid cream
Am sending u my pic
Plz don't publish my pic mam

Thank u mam
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Apologies for the delay in responding back.
I have seen the attached pic. The pic is not very clear to appreciate your skin condition.
However you should follow these steps to regain your skin texture and improve skin tone
Stop your triple combination cream.
Start vitamin c supplement 500 mg twice daily
Use a mild cleanser like cetaphil twice in a day
Apply a good moisturiser like elovera lotion or hymos
Use a sunscreen in morning like suncote/rivela/shadowz
Use a calamine lotion like calosoft or dermadew caloe lotion two to three times in a day. This would counteract the redness.

Once your skin improves, then continue your sunscreen and apply mild pigmentation reducing cream like kojic acid vitamin c based cream( kojiglow/kojivit) twice in a day. Continue the same till skin improves.

Hope this would help you out.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Thank you so much mam
But you didn't suggest me anything for the darkness of my lips mam
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
For your lips, you may use kojic acid based cream twice in a day( kojivit/kojiglow). Use a good quality lip balm with sun protection factor( blistex dct/neutrogena/lip talk lip balm/sunkroma lip balm) as and when required. Avoid licking your lips. Also avoid wearing lipsticks till your lip color improves.
You may also consult a doctor for chemical peel sessions to improve the lip color.
Hope this helped.