• question-icon

Suggest treatment for redness in the eyes

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have been taking different eye drops for glaucoma for 8-9 years. My new ophhthamologist, Dr. Coplan, has been monitoring my eyes since Feb. '17 and decided I needed a cold laser trabeculoplasy (which is scheduled forthis thu., July 27). I've had some concerns/questions that her medical assistants have been answering. I went for a 2nd opinion (to discover if I really need the procedure) last Fri., July 21st, My question to you now is about REDNESS of the eyes. CAN THAT SYMPTOM ALONE INDICATE A POSSIBLE ALLERGY? Dr. XXXXXXX said "yes" (to Brimonidine which I've been taking for 7 months), but Dr. Coplan's assistant said "no." There must be another symptom, such as itchiness or drainage problems. (I have had some wateryness lately but understand that can be a symptom of dry eyes, which I was diagnosed as having by Dr. Coplan's colleague 3 weeks. ago.)
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Redness of eyes can frequently be due to allergy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that redness of eyes (without thick discharge) is frequently due to allergic cause. However, at the same time, it is not necessary that allergy is the cause of any redness of eyes. A closer look may reveal some other cause including glaucoma. Dr. Coplan's assistant could have found some clues that could be pointing to some definite cause (like glaucoma) as the likely cause and hence the difference in answers.

Let me reorganize the query scenario. If you ask about a possibility, yes, that symptom alone can indicate a possible allergy. But looking closely, there are so many valid possibilities that may be independent of the scenario that might actually exist in your case.

Let me provide an analogy: Is there a possibility that your doctor is married? Yes, it is possible. Is she actually? We would have to consider the individual case and if somebody has some additional information that is in contrary, he or she might state 'no' as the answer.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
XXXXXXX one of Dr. Copeland's assistants, is whom I last talked with (Fri., July21 after seeing Dr. XXXXXXX for a 2nd opinion as to whether I needed a trabecluloplasty). She knows my case well and had notes in front of her as we talked. I had just come home from Dr. Jones' office when she returned a call I had put into her office the day before. I was so upset about the finding of Dr. XXXXXXX that I had an allergy caused by Brimonidine eye drops, that I forgot the questions I had from the day before and said that Dr. Copland should have understood from noticing my red eyes that I had an allergy. XXXXXXX replied that "redness alone is not an indication of an allergy . . .that any drops that one puts in one's eyes cause redness.

I spoke with my sister yesterday (who is not a medical person but does have common sense). She thought I should continue with either Brimonidine (or the newly-prescribed Timolol) because she guessed that going without glaucoma drops for a few days could cause a rise in eye pressure. I decided she was right and to start back with the Brimonidine this morning.

I'm still not sure if I have an allery or not. But I'm leary of taking any new drug . . .especially since I might have the trabeculoplasty this Thu.
XXXXXXX said that she would talk with Dr. Coplan this Tue., July 25th, about my concern but it was possible that Copland would dismiss me because she doesn't want to treat anyone who doesn't have complete confidence in her. I repield that I was sorry about starting our conversation the way I did and that I do have confidence in Coplan because I know of her good reputation in matters pertaining to glaucoma and her expertise in glaucoma surgery. (Dr. Saha, I only went to Dr. XXXXXXX for a 2nd opinion.)

I'm concerned that Coplan may release me and that maybe the cold laser trabeculoplasy is the way to go now. I hate to lose this chance for something stupid on my part. There is another problem(s). I have had bluried vision for a couple mos. All the doctors say I'll need to cataract surgery (how soon I don't know) but that the eye pressure problem (about 18 in my left eye and 19 in my right one) has to be decreased first.

I've known for a few years that I had cataracts (but they were small). My first opthamologist, Dr. Grove, said last year that I may have have cataract surgery some day. I left him in XXXXXXX '17 because he moved away and got Dr. Coplan (and her colleague, Dr. House). About a month ago he saw that my catarcts had gotten larger. My eyes had been blurry for about 2 months before that. Neither Coplan nor House made any specific comment about my blurriness (that I remember). But they might have assumed I knew they heard my complaint about my blurriness because they both told me I would need cataract surgery.

I'm afraid that the blurriness may be due to eye drop preservatives. I'm also afraid of having to find another good glaucoma specialist, spend more time, and my cataracts get so big that maybe I'll go blind.

I thought of talking with XXXXXXX again tomorrow, Mon., July 24th, to convince her that I really want Coplan to do the SLT on me this Thu., July 27th. XXXXXXX did say that she would have her check the redness that day.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it would be ok to have the SLT this week?

Maybe I'm being reticent about nothing . . .over-reacting.

Do you think I should seriously consider going ahead with the SLT (cold-laser trabeculoplasty) this week given all the information I outlined above about my case?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not look concerning

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Your sister is right that going without anti-glaucoma drops would not be a good idea and could lead to elevation in the eye pressure. I think that you need not be concerned about the redness and should use the medicines as prescribed. You can rest assured that the blurriness is not due to the preservatives in the eye drops.

I think that you should seriously consider going ahead with the SLT (cold-laser trabeculoplasty) even with the mentioned complaints.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha