Suggest treatment for redness found in endoscopy

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in GERD
Question: Hi Doc,
Today I had my endoscopy because of the bloating and gas problems since 6 months and doctor said that redness found in endoscopy, it could be because of some GERD or bacteria or excessive acid. I was prescribed Pepcid to take daily once. Can you please tell me what does that redness mean? Does it indicate any problem?
Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
common and mostly non worrisome

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thank you for query.

Redness is inflammation. It is like a red swelling that appears on skin after you were hurt. Similarly the mucosa inner lining of gut will be injured because of various irritants. They are like your food, reflux, infection etc. And as I said earlier it is a common finding which usually is not concerning. Pepcid is the best drug given for two weeks to two months on the basis of regression of symptoms.

I suggest you bland diet, regular diet and on time medication. If you are overweight it makes true sense to cut it for long term benefits.

I look forward for any more queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad