Suggest treatment for redness and warm sensation in the face and ears

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my face and ears will turn red and hot for no reason
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
many possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Flushing like this is caused by an increased blood flow into the tissues of the face. Some common causes include emotional flushing and rosacea.

Rosacea is an inflammatory conditions that usually is first diagnosed in people between the ages of 40 and 60. Flushing is an early sign of this disease and later more permanent skin lesions like small bumps and blood vessels develop. If the flushing is persistent you might want to see a dermatologist for an evaluation since rosacea is best if treated early in the course of disease.

You would probably know if you had emotional flushing and I think since you said it was for no reason it is probably not from this.

Flushing can also be caused by many medications, some cancers, lupus and neurologic conditions. However if you have no other symptoms, these more severe diagnoses are unlikely.

Alcohol and some foods can cause flushing in some people.

There is also a condition called carcinoid that can cause flushing but those patients usually have diarrhea as well.

As you can see this can condition can have many causes. Discuss this with your doctor. I suggest that you get a complete physical exam and some basic blood tests done. If all is normal then a referral to a dermatologist may be helpful.
Dr. Robinson