Owl Image

Suggest treatment for redness and swelling on leg after fall

Owl Image
Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Question
Hi, I had a horse fall on my leg on Saturday. My leg is quite sore and bruised on my lower calf where the horse landed on me. I am a little concerned that tonight my leg is quite red and hot on both the inside and outside of my leg. It is quite tight from the swelling also.
I can walk ok, however it is very sore if I don't keep moving. Do I need to worry about the redness and heat around the area?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and it looks to be severe soft tissue injury of muscles leading to internal bleeding and this in turn leads to raised temperature and tightness. To assess the tightness (Increased tissue pressure),
Please tell me-1.how much is the pain on moving the foot upwards and downwards?
2. is there Numbness and bruise present?
Answer to these questions will help me to better understand your suffering.

Meanwhile you may take pain killer, gentle ankle and toes exercises, Ice fomentation, Drug(prescription only) Tryp sin/chymotrypsin to reduce swelling, Limb elevation and compression bandage (crepe bandage).

Hope this suffices and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for redness and swelling on leg after fall 11 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
My ankle is sore to move and there is bruising present.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ice fomentaton and limb elevation will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and attached photograph it does not looks to be a serious bony injury but one cannot rule out the role of x-ray. Hence,my advised for you would be follow the measure's as discussed earlier. If the pain and swelling persists or increases along with the limb getting cold then you should visit the ER.

As asked earlier, please tell me how much is the pain on moving the foot/toes upwards and downwards?

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.