Suggest treatment for redness and swelling in the groin area after eating sea food

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my son has a seafood, shellfish allergy, and highly allergic to penicillin, Hew developed what he thought was an ingrown hair infection in his groin area this weekend. Dr. lanced it and gave him moxicilin that sent him into a bad allergy reaction and was hospitalized after treatment of benedryl. He has been hospitalized and given IV of linezolid. He has been in the hospital 3 days receiving the IV treatment and area is still red and swollen. A culture was taken and so far nothing has shown up in it, so they are holding him in hospital til culture grows something. Do you feel this is right treatment?

Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection and IV antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM wth your health care concerns

I am so sorry to hear about your son and his infection and reaction to amoxicillin. He is not in the hospital with IV antibiotics. They have chosen the right antibiotic and he may take some tome to improve with the antibiotic. But if the reason for them keeping in the hospital waiting for the culture results they maybe waiting in vain. Because your son took the amoxicillin prior to the culture the culture may not grow because despite your sons reaction the antibiotic still entered the wound and started killing the bacteria. Now if you try growing after treatment the bacteria was killed and not able to grow again. They maybe waiting until he responds better to the antibiotic before they let him leave. He may need more medication it all depends on how he responds to the treatment.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions