• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for redness and pain in the hands

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: While doing yard work a few days ago, I scratched my palm with XXXXXXX surface. I thought it was just a scratch but I feel the skin is getting red and hurting.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I see a small dark pink area near the center of the picture. Please let me know if you are referring to something else.

One of the best ways to prevent bacterial soft tissue infection is if you can nip it in the bud early by doing hot soaks or applying a hot wet compress multiple times/day. As it is on your hand, it will be fairly easy to run hot water (not so hot you burn yourself) on it for several minutes a few times/day.

The heat works by brining more white blood cells to the area to fight infection. It also works by raising the skin temperature and making it less hospitable for bacteria that prefer skin temp. for multiplication.

Make sure that you don't have a foreign body under the skin though. For that, and if the red area starts to expand significantly and get redder, hotter, and more tender, then go in to urgent care, your doctor, or ER depending on the time of day. For that you will need an oral antibiotic.

But if you get it early, heat can stop small skin infections.

At night you can put a dab of Zinc oxide ointment on it to help it heal (you can get this at any drug store). But this isn't essential. Or you can you an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin.

So do heat it up (but don't burn); and watch carefully for signs of increasing infection as described above.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3138 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Zinc oxide

doctor1 MD

On the Doctor s today, they brought up that it is dangerous to use baby powder in the groin area. Why is this dangerous and what can you use for...

doctor1 MD

I m a 32year male, generally healthy. Literally over a night or two, I have developed a red, raised rash on the skin between my butt cheeks. I...

doctor1 MD

Can anal fissure lead to anal warts? I have had anal fissure on and off for years which makes bowel movements difficult. (Im now 22) but eventually...

doctor1 MD

i scratched my vagina when I was showering and now I have a light pink residue when I wipe. will this go away on it's own

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My daughter is approx. 1 year old. She has developed some red rashes today evening and she is trying to scratch it over the clothes. 1....

doctor1 MD

What could be cause of my rash? I was traveling in COZUMEL and Cancun. The last morning ( Nov. 22 ) I swam in the heated pool, which was being...

doctor1 MD

Hi I m a 30 yr old male. I have been having testicle mycosis for about 6 month have visited the dermatologist and they have given me the following...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

151 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis