• question-icon

Suggest treatment for redness and pain in the hands

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: While doing yard work a few days ago, I scratched my palm with XXXXXXX surface. I thought it was just a scratch but I feel the skin is getting red and hurting.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I see a small dark pink area near the center of the picture. Please let me know if you are referring to something else.

One of the best ways to prevent bacterial soft tissue infection is if you can nip it in the bud early by doing hot soaks or applying a hot wet compress multiple times/day. As it is on your hand, it will be fairly easy to run hot water (not so hot you burn yourself) on it for several minutes a few times/day.

The heat works by brining more white blood cells to the area to fight infection. It also works by raising the skin temperature and making it less hospitable for bacteria that prefer skin temp. for multiplication.

Make sure that you don't have a foreign body under the skin though. For that, and if the red area starts to expand significantly and get redder, hotter, and more tender, then go in to urgent care, your doctor, or ER depending on the time of day. For that you will need an oral antibiotic.

But if you get it early, heat can stop small skin infections.

At night you can put a dab of Zinc oxide ointment on it to help it heal (you can get this at any drug store). But this isn't essential. Or you can you an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin.

So do heat it up (but don't burn); and watch carefully for signs of increasing infection as described above.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh